HDTV Antenna Logo HDTv Labs Forum
High Definition Talk
Subscribe Subscribe to
the HDTV Labs Feed!

Antenna Solution for North Central MN?

Ask for antenna advice here. Off air HDTV antennas performance discussion: indoor, outdoor, directional and omni-directional, VHF and UHF bands.

Antenna Solution for North Central MN?

Postby Balsam Bill on Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:08 pm

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapp ... 89989ff356

A recomendation for the above referenced tvfool location report will be greatly appreciated. I am receiving all the Duluth stations with my old setup, the signal strength varies from weak for KDLH to very good for KQDS. I have an old weather beaten combination antenna mounted on a chimney supported mast about 32-34 feet above grade. A very steep 14 pitch roof. Coax of unknown type probably 6. An amp that is in the house not on the antenna. An RCA converter box and a 4 year old Advent HD ready TV. The signal strength is not solid on the KDLH real 33 channel and is mostly unwatchable. WDIO real 10 and WDSE real 8 are fairly steady but will pixalate and freeze and loose signal strength with , I assume, different weather conditions. KBJR has been fairly steady and Kqds rock solid. This Duluth markets station transmitter choices are strange. The highest rated network CBS station KDLH bought the lowest power transmitter and the highest UHF channel 33 while the Fox KQDS stepped up to the plate and bought a 1000 watter to the party. As you can see I am 49.4 miles away and all towers are on the same compass heading which is where my antenna is pointed. Although I am located in the wooded boonies my antenna faces a cleared field and the trees are 800 feet away. Strong wind potential and snow and ice issues at times. So antenna ? preamp? Thanks for any help.

Balsam Bill

Re: Antenna Solution for North Central MN?

Postby tigerbangs on Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:41 pm

The Duluth stations are going to require some extraordinary measures to insure good reception in your location. The stations are 50 miles away, and the signals are weak in your area. You really need a deep-fringe solution for both VHF and UHF to insure decent reception. Duluth has 2 VHF digital channels, and a UHF-only antenna won't give you what you need.

I suggest my deep-fringe prescription: a Winegard YA-1713 VHF high-band yagi and an AntennasDirect XG-91 UHF antenna mounted on the same mast. The XG-91 should be mounted on the top of the mast, and the YA-1713 should be mounted 4' below it. You should use a preamplifier, especially if you plan to run multiple TV sets from the antenna system. I would use a Channel Master Titan 7777 preamplifier, which has terrific gain and has separate VHF and UHF inputs, making it easy to connect separate antennas. Aim the antennas due East, and connect them to the proper input on the preamp. before connecting the preamp, you will have o open the preamp up and slide the 'combined'-"separate" switch to separate, so the preamp will recognize both antennas.

tigerbangs

Postby Balsam Bill on Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:10 pm

Thanks for the reply tigerbangs. I had a feeling your deep fringe was the answer. I needed it verified before I got up on that 14 pitch one more time.

Balsam Bill

Postby tigerbangs on Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:45 pm

a 14 pitch roof? My prayers are with you!

tigerbangs

Return to Antenna Talk