HDTV Antenna Logo HDTv Labs Forum
High Definition Talk
Subscribe Subscribe to
the HDTV Labs Feed!

Outdoor Antenna help 27012 Area

Ask for antenna advice here. Off air HDTV antennas performance discussion: indoor, outdoor, directional and omni-directional, VHF and UHF bands.

Re: Outdoor Antenna help 27012 Area

Postby tigerbangs on Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:35 pm

You do not need in-line attenuators unless you have signals that are overpoweringly strong, such as bei8ng within 1 or 2 miles from the transmitters. Preamplifiers have some issues with signal overload in strong areas, but distribution amplifiers are usually much less likely to overload.

Because the XG-91 is very directional, in order to take advantage of it's capabilities, it MUST be aimed at the transmitter that it is receiving, or you will experience greatly diminished signal strength and potential for multipath distortion. If a rotator is not in the cards for you, you must determine which TV market available to you will offer the programming that you want to see, and aim the antenna in that direction.

After looking at the amplifier-splitter arrangement in your attic, I suggest that you look at those two devices again, and see if the amplifier that you have has enough outputs to eliminate the splitter in the picture: you should be able to improve your signal if your amplifier can handle the job without resorting to the outboard splitter.

tigerbangs

Postby mattlenderman on Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:28 pm

i purchased the one you recommended, however when i got it, it only has 1 output in which I'd have to use a splitter if needing it to go to more than 1 TV. I have 2 Tv's, but are using a 4 way splitter. I have the other 2 ports on the 4way splitter capped off so I don't loose any interference from any unused ports. Yea the rotor is not an option at this point, since I record on my Tivo from several other stations. I was just really hoping the attic job would work, and sounds like I've gotta lot of work ahead of me to install that outside on a pole..I just hope i don't run into this blotchy issue at that point or I'll be extremely frustrated...

mattlenderman

Postby mattlenderman on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:08 am

@ TigerBangs...

Looking at this pic of the side of my house, can you please advise if I'm better off doing the pole mount or mounting the Xg-91 on a mast on the corner where I've marked the arrow?

I've also circled where all my TV lines come out the side of the house. Thanks for any advice on this. Also since you recommended the cm3412 that i got, and I need to be able to operate at least 2 TV's (maybe 1 more in the future), do you suggest buying another amp or should this work with my splitter once I get the Antenna outside?

Thanks again for your assistance

Attachments
HOME2.JPG
HOME2.JPG (142.09 KB) Viewed 2555 times
mattlenderman

Postby mattlenderman on Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:54 pm

UPDATE***

I got home from work and couldn't take the stations going in/out anymore. I grabbed my ladder and material and headed up on the roof. Mounted the antenna on the eve where I posted the red arrow in the above picture, and once mounted drilled a hole into my attic and ran a RG6 cable from the antenna to the CM3412. Then another short Rg6 to my 4 way splitter, going to my 2 TV's. I gained 3 more channels, and my issue I was having is *mostly* resolved. Putting it on the roof definetely made the blotchy issue I was having improve, but I'd say by about 80-85%. For the most part now, everythings OK but every few minutes it'll do that for just a second or 2 then clear up. Before, it was awful and doing it A LOT. So maybe it's the amp now...not sure...

It got dark on me and was unable to hook up a ground, but I will do that in the next day or so. Other than that, i'm impressed but its still not perfect which is what I'm hoping to gain soon

Thanks again Tigerbangs for your assistance. So at this point, now i'm on the roof, do you recommend anything else far as amps, etc?

mattlenderman

Postby tigerbangs on Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:52 am

For now, I believe that you have an aiming issue, not an amplifier issue. Amplifiers will only cover line and splitting losses for you; they will not really make the tiling and fading that you are experiencing go away. Because the stations in your area are so scattered, i suggest that you grab your compass and your TVFool.report, and decide which stations from which market are most important to you: the directional nature of the antenna is going to make choosing your direction carefully a critical issue for reception. My best suggestion is to aim the antenna at the closest market that gives you all the stations that you are looking for with the transmitters in a 15 degree arc. Beyond that arc, the antenna will tend to reject the other stations.
Charlotte is the largest TV market that you can reasonably see, but it's transmitters are 60 miles from your house. If you can aim in that direction and reliably see those stations, that may be a good bet for you.

tigerbangs

Postby mattlenderman on Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:51 pm

Tigerbangs, here's where i'm at now....

I had asked about ground but never heard a response so i researched and went ahead and did it. I ran a #10 from the mast to a 10ft ground rod, and i also picked up a ground block where i ran a #10 from my rg6 line (before going in the house) all the way onto that 10ft ground. I also mounted a junction box since it will be on the exterior of the home. Ive attached pics of what i've done so far.

Before doing the ground, i seem to really have no issues with my channels. I mean your occasional blotchyness here/there, but not a huge deal. Now, i thought after doing the grounds it may would even help the channels some, but its not. Here's where I'm at...Now, after hooking it all up when I did the signal scan again I only picked up 26 channel;s amd not 30 like before. After watching a few different stations, i'm noticing them getting blotchy every little bit so i the signal strength[img][img][/img][/img] meter and let me tell you whats weird.......On all the stations i'm having issues with, it shows the signal strength in the upper 80's/90's which is fine. The problem is if you sit and just watch, within a minute or 3 that signal will jump from 89-90 to down in the 40's-50'd....This is the time when it drops, that it gets blotchy.

Do you have any recommendation? Do you think I need a different antenna? I'm facing the antenna at 115degress as i seem to pickup all stations i want but shooting it to Charlotte at over 200degrees then makes it where we cant see the locals where i live

I'm just not sure if i need another antenna...all i really care about getting at this point is nbc/abc/fox/cbs/wcwg......if i had another antenna that would not be so directional that could pick all of thoise yp no problem, i guess maybe could solve this issue?

Attachments
IMAG0056.jpg
Ground rod
IMAG0056.jpg (41.51 KB) Viewed 2402 times
IMAG0045.jpg
ground on mast
IMAG0045.jpg (12.41 KB) Viewed 2410 times
IMAG0059.jpg
antenna on home
IMAG0059.jpg (54.18 KB) Viewed 2412 times
mattlenderman

Postby mattlenderman on Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:52 pm

heres the pic of the junction box i mounted. See any errors?

Attachments
IMAG0057.jpg
IMAG0057.jpg (21.87 KB) Viewed 2414 times
mattlenderman

Postby mattlenderman on Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:37 pm

Tigerbangs, not sure why no reply but either way wanted to advise all issues are now resolved. Problem I was having was the degree range I was choosing to shoot the antenna. Why it worked before was due to no leaves on the trees, as over the last week all leaves are out and i have nothing but woods behind my house. Once I repositioned it directly on 220 degrees towards Charlotte (i was at 115 degrees before), my issues are no longer. I can still get the locals are here I was hoping to get by shooting it at 115 degrees which is pretty awesome. Anyways, just wanted to give a heads up as issue is now resolved. FINALLY...this has turned into a rather interesting project these last couple months but well worth it in the end considering the monthly cost now!

mattlenderman

Previous

Return to Antenna Talk