HDTV Antenna Logo HDTv Labs Forum
High Definition Talk
Subscribe Subscribe to
the HDTV Labs Feed!

Will a HD Antenna work for me where I live?

Ask for antenna advice here. Off air HDTV antennas performance discussion: indoor, outdoor, directional and omni-directional, VHF and UHF bands.

Will a HD Antenna work for me where I live?

Postby kwerner2300 on Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:32 am

I am new to the HD antenna world and am trying to decide if it an option for me. I live outside of Washingotn DC in Purcellville VA. I live about 55 - 60 miles from the major TV stations. Zip code is 20132. Will I be able to find an antenna to use living so far from the stations? What are some good brand names to look at? Where is a good place to start looking to get a good price? thanks

kwerner2300

Re: Will a HD Antenna work for me where I live?

Postby tigerbangs on Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:53 am

Actually, based on your zip code, you shouldn't have much trouble with the D.C. stations, and, you may even see some of the Baltimore stations if you use the right antenna and use a rotator. I would suggest either an AntennasDirect XG-91 or a Channel Master 4228 plus a VHF-high band yagi like a Winegard YA-1713 . WJLA-DT, WUSA-DT and WBAL-DT from Baltimore are going back to their original VHF channels after February 16. 2009, so you will need the VHF antenna to pick them up. You can also use a rotator to fine tune the antenna for Baltimore.

tigerbangs

Postby kwerner2300 on Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:32 pm

Thanks for the input. According to the AntennaWeb site, I need a large Directional antenna to receive the blue and purple channels. Do the models you state previously meet those requirements? It looks like they will service red areas. Do you think what you suggest is adequate?

kwerner2300

Postby tigerbangs on Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:36 pm

The use of the color coding system requires further clarification: most people don't read the fine print. A blue or violet area requires a fringe type antenna AND a preamplifier to supposedly pick up Blue or Violet channels. The criteria that antennaweb.com uses can be confusing to most people. The antennas that I have suggested are the most widely respected and used fringe-area antennas existent. Any antenna that is used in a Blue or Violet area will require the use of a preamplifier like a Channel Master Titan 7777 to insure solid reception in those areas. I have used these antennas at far greater distances than you live from your transmitters and have had good success with them.
http://www.antennasdirect.com/
http://www.channelmaster.com/
http://www.pctinternational.com/channel ... lation.pdf

tigerbangs

Return to Antenna Talk